Shawmut’s culture and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) work has continually been honored, including four times by Best Workplace by Fortune Magazine, Diversity Champion by GlobeSt.com and Crain’s New York Business, DEI Visionary by the LA Times, Fortune Best Workplace for Women, Fortune Best Workplace for Millennials, Great Place to Work’s Best Workplace for Parents, and one of America’s Best Employers by Forbes. On top of that, Shawmut has been named a Best Place to Work in Los Angeles, New York, Providence, Hartford, and more. And now, Shawmut and CEO Les Hiscoe have been named one of the Top 100 DEI Leaders by Mogul, celebrated for taking enormous strides in implementing progressive practices, striving for DEI across all levels, and creating a welcoming workplace for all our people.
When Shawmut first started on its journey to DEI—when Les declared DEI a business imperative in 2014 and Shawmut created a Diversity Leadership Council—the firm had 30% diversity at the entry level and 10% at the senior level. The firm is now up to 25% women at the senior level and a workforce that’s comprised of 35% women, compared to the construction industry which is only 10%.
Here are some of the key milestones and initiatives that have led to this progress—and to being named a Top 100 DEI Leader by Mogul:
- Established and continually drives 100% pay and promotion equity
- Created Sponsorship relationships
- Established a mentorship program: Shawmut Connect
- Created task forces to increase Minority, Woman, and Local Business Enterprises (MWLBE)
- Built robust Inclusion Learning and Awareness training program
- Refined diversity recruiting strategy, including the Shawmut Scholars Program at Roger Williams University
- Established Regional Diversity Leadership Councils